Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Passing...


The Prophet of our church President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away tonight, a little over an hour ago. He was ninety-seven years old and the oldest leader in the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I feel at peace about his passing and am excited for him to be reunited with his wife. Although he is not the only Prophet to have served the members of our church in my life time, he has been serving in this capacity since I was fifteen years old. I have looked to him as an example to follow my whole adult life.
I will always remember him as the Prophet who led the charge to scatter the earth with temples. I will remember seeing him time after time in TV interviews, proclaiming to the world that we are disciples of Jesus Christ. I will always be grateful to him for this simple little poem he wrote and put to music.

Don’t ever forget to pray.
Don’t ever forget to pray.
Kneel down ev’ry night and morning.
Don’t ever forget, don’t ever forget, don’t ever forget to pray.

I sing it to my boys at night and we try to obey this command. I feel indebted to him for motivating me to teach my boys to rely on the Lord day and night. I feel confident that he worked so hard, even into his ninety-seventh year, to serve the children of God because he knew of Gods love for each of us.
President Thomas S. Monson will follow in his stead and proclaim the same truths of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
To learn more about President Hinckley click here.

4 comments:

LoGunns said...

:(

Britt said...

I could not express it any better. Thank you.

Aprilyn said...

I don't know that song. I want to sing it to my kids too!! You should sing it and put it on your blog so I can learn it! :) I also love the song "Constant As The North Star" about Pres. Hinckley's life. I love what you wrote about him. It is so perfect. Can I just say, I want to be more like you! You are teaching your boys such wonderful things. I want to be like the Savior but I have to take it in smaller increments. If I try to be like other great women who are trying to be like the Savior, I get closer to my ultimate goal.

Melissa said...

That was very touching what you wrote about our dear prophet! I was looking through photos the other day and found our orchestra trip we took to DisneyWorld together! Oh man! I will have to post them soon! Those were some fun times with Mr Poff and the rest of the class!