Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Herbert the Snail

It's true I often say, "Burke is making me crazy!" Though I love that boy more than I could really express he really does push me to the limit many times each day! On this day it happened to be because when I blinked (how dare I) he emptied 28 fluid ounces (minus two squirts) of baby wash into his bath water.
When I discovered it I was so mad! I whisked him away, as he screamed and cried for his bubbles, and put him to bed. After he was asleep I felt the reality of my cruelty and the loss of an opportunity to make fun memories with Burke so...I did the only thing I could think to do with a bathtub FULL of bubbles. I let Isaac play in it! It made me feel a teensy tiny bit better about being so uptight and missing out on fun moments with my kids. Poor Burke!
Isaac had such a great time. The bubbles were amazing. Trav, Isaac, and I had a great time with those bubbles thanks to poor Burky boy!
My hastiness made me think of this great song that my boys love called Herbert the Snail. Sometimes I sing it to them when it seems they could be reminded to have a little more patience. I wonder how much better my days would turn out if I just sang this song all day long every day to myself?


There was a snail called Herbert who was so very slow.
He caused a lot of traffic jams wherever he would go.
The ants were always getting mad and the beetles they would fume,
But Herb would always poke along and sing this little tune.

Have patience, have patience. Don't be in such a hurry.
When you get impatient you only start to worry.
Remember, remember that God is patient too
And think of all the times when others wait for you.

When Herbert was much younger, he often got in trouble.
Forgetting that he was a snail he did things on the double.
He'd crash through every spider web and with crickets he'd collide.
'Til one day Herbert's father took his speeding son aside.

Have patience, have patience. Don't be in such a hurry.
When you get impatient you only start to worry.
Remember, remember that God is patient too
And think of all the times when others wait for you.

As you can well imagine there's a moral to this tale.
Some of you may find yourselves behind a creeping snail.
So if you get impatient and you're easily disturbed,
Think about this little song and take a tip from Herb.

Have patience, have patience. Don't be in such a hurry.
When you get impatient you only start to worry.
Remember, remember that God is patient too
And think of all the times when others wait for you.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

april said...

Love it! I have been thinking the same things recently!

Tristen said...

Britt, what a sweet post. It made me feel sad about the times that instead of laughing and playing with the mischievous little human being that I feel the need to punish instead of laugh. It always helps if I keep my camera near me so that if they do something naughty I take a picture and by the time I take the picture I see the cuteness and creativity in their destruction. But then you wonder if you are encouraging the naughtiness by letting them play... sigh. It's a harder job than I ever expected it to be! But your kids are absolutely adorable. The good thing is that we always have today and tomorrow to try to compensate for our past parenting snags. Right? Thanks for a sweet post.

Jason said...

I couldn't help but think of Abe Lincoln with that first pic... hilarious!