I am also reading a fictional book about people living at the time of Jesus Christ's ministry. Although it is a fictional, it is based around the writings in the New Testament. I have enjoyed considering the experiences recorded in the Bible with a new perspective. It has opened my mind. I can better understand the role of the Romans and their relationship with the Jews. I can better understand why many did not accept Jesus Christ as the Messiah that they were waiting for. I can better understand why they might not cling to His teachings and think they are as wonderful and fulfilling as I do. I know that the Bible is the Word of God and am grateful for the blessing that this knowledge is in my life. It gives me hope and happiness.
Here are a few of the things that stood out to me this time around:
St. Luke 6: 46-49 "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say? Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like: He is like a man which built an house, and digged it deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock. But he that heareth, and doeth not is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great."
- I can't think of anything worse than to have Jesus Christ ask me why I am not following His teachings when I say I am committed to them. I want my foundation to be upon a solid rock.
- No explanation needed.
- I'd like to be more bold and courageous. There are many truths that I feel strongly about but sometimes hold back sharing with others, forgetting that if they mean so much to me, they might mean that much to others, too.
- I'd like to be a better doer all around.
- If I can more carefully control the things I speak about I will have accomplished a great thing and be more able to control other areas of my life where is fall short or err.
- Once again, I'd like to be a better doer all around.
- I would like to be found talking to others about uplifting and encouraging things and when I speak of others it would be in admiration or compliment.
- I can't think of many things more fulfilling than this.